US born child with Indian passport face problems in India

Question: Will US born child with Indian passport face problems in India?


Raju Kanumuri: 1.Yes! you can get a Indian passport for new born child in USA. Once your child is born in USA, you would have the option of applying for an Indian passport for your new born child at the Indian consulate in USA. However, to get Indian passport, you should not have applied for a US passport. If you have already applied for a US passport for your child, then the Indian passport application will be rejected.
Kindly note that even though you may opt to get a Indian passport for your newborn, your child will always be considered to be a US citizen under US law. Unless, on reaching the age of majority, US citizenship is formally renounced.
2.If all your family, including your new born child remain Indian citizens, I can’t foresee any problems your child may face in the early stages. However at some point of time when sensitive government jobs etc. come into play, then there is a possibility that your child’s US citizenship may cause hindrance.

Your Answer

Related Questions

Q: Are debits and credits to NRO accounts allowed freely by banks maintaining the accounts?

A: Yes, individual credits beyond rs.10,000 are however supported by documentary evidence to indicate that the funds represent legitimate dues of the account holder.

Q: Are NRIs permitted to maintain accounts in rupees or in foreign currency?

A: Accounts can be maintained by NRIs either in rupees or in foreign currency.

Q: Are the balance held by the non-resident in their NRO account repatriable?

A: The balance held in NRO accounts continue to remain non-repatriable. The deposits representing only current income (like pension, dividend, rent, interest etc.) will be permitted to be repatriated...

Q: What is the penalty for premature withdrawal of an FCNR deposit?

A: Interest in such cases is paid at one percent below the interest rate payable for the period for which the deposit has actually remained with the bank.