What is a PAN Card
It is a unique identification code, a combination of ten alphanumeric characters, given to any individuals staying in India, a family (especially Hindu Undivided Family) with its base in India, and corporate and business organizations operating in India. This identification number is a unique number given to all those individuals and corporations who pay income tax or at least come under the ambit of the Income Tax Act, even though not actively paying such taxes. This unique identification number is only allotted to Indian Citizens and Residents of India apart from the registered corporations in India. Such a Unique identification number helps in smooth dealings and recordings as far as the Income Tax Laws of India are concerned. This Unique Identification Card is a non-transferable identity card issued for a lifetime of the individual holding the card only.
This unique identification number known as the PAN or Permanent Account Number is issued by NSDL under the Income Tax Department of India and is supervised by the CBDT or the Central Board for Direct Taxes. This card not only helps smoothen the process of paying income taxes and filing necessary returns but in fact, this card becomes an important identification proof for the individuals and corporations holding such numbers. The card also acts as a proof of age for the individual holding such card.
Who Can Apply for PAN Card
Application for PAN Card can be made by any Indian citizen who has attained the age of eighteen years and has a source of valid and legal income. The list of people who can apply for a PAN card and the documents they require for applying are mentioned below:
- Individual Applicants: Should be an Indian citizen; Must have a valid address, identity, and age proof.
- Hindu Undivided Family Applicants: Head of the Family or Karta can apply on behalf of the family for taxation purposes; Karta must provide a valid identity, address, and date of birth proof; Karta must provide the name of father and details of all coparceners of the Hindu Undivided Family.
- Companies: Companies should register with the State Registrar of Companies prior to applying for the PAN Card. This copy of the registration is the basic document needed for applying for the PAN card of the organization. Even partnership firms and limited liability partnership firms can apply for a PAN Card.
Apart from these, minors, mentally retarded people, trusts, local authorities, artificial judicial persons, and foreign individuals can also apply for PAN card if they require doing so after following the basic requirements from the official website of the government.
How to Check the Status of PAN Card
With the advent of technology, application for a PAN card is easy. The applicant can apply online and track the application status of the PAN Card online easily. In case the applicant would like to check the status of his/her PAN Card Application, the following steps need to be followed:
- The applicant needs to log onto the official website of PAN cards (NSDL website) and scroll and click on the option of “Track your PAN/TAN application status.”
- This would take the applicant to the official webpage of NSDL PAN Card.
- The applicant then needs to select the application type under which such application has been made.
- Thereafter, the applicant needs to enter the acknowledgment number provided to the applicant at the time of application.
- The applicant would be asked to provide his/her name and date of birth.
- After filling such details, the applicant needs to click on the submit button.
- This would take the applicant to “View your status” page which would provide the necessary details about the applicant’s PAN application status.
How to Verify PAN Card Details from PAN Card Number
Just like the process of application and finding the status of application of an applicant’s PAN Card, it is quite easy to verify the PAN card details from the PAN Card number. The process of verifying the PAN Card details can be done online too.
- The applicant merely needs to visit the official website of PAN Card. Find out the option of “PAN Verification” or else can also select the “Know your PAN” option.
- The website would prompt the applicant to enter basic details related to the PAN Card such as the Date of Birth (in case of an individual) and Date of Incorporation (in case of a company), and name of the PAN Card Holder including the surname, middle name, and the first name.
- A Verification code would be required to be entered and once the submit button is pressed, the system would provide all the details in case the details provided by the applicant is mentioned correctly.
- The details of the PAN card along with the status of the PAN card such as whether the PAN Card is active or not would be provided.