Many of us would love to drive while we travel abroad, instead of taking those boring, old tourist buses and cabs. In order to do this, you must get an International Driving License. Many people refrain from this, assuming that it would be very complicated. But it is not so complicated. We receive many queries from NRIs on how to get international driving license for. Many are unsure whether they can get international driving license in India. Further, there are also some confusion regarding the documents required for international driving license in India, the validity of International Driving License in India and the international driving license fees in India. This article should clear up all your doubts.
What Is An International Driving License(IDL) or International Driving Permit?
The International Driving License, often abbreviated to IDL, is a legal, international official travel document, which has been ratified by the United Nations. This is most commonly issued by tourists who wish to drive their own vehicle when they travel abroad. In its essence, the International Driving License is an official translation of the Driver’s license that you hold in your home country. The document will usually state that you have a valid driver’s license in your home country, and translates all your details into different languages, so that officials abroad will also be able to read and understand your credentials. It is usually printed in a number of different languages, including English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Arabic, Japanese, and some Scandinavian languages. Please note that you should also carry your Indian driver's license along with your IDL while traveling abroad.
What Are The Advantages of Having An International Driving License?
Some of the advantages of getting an International Driving License are listed below:
- It allows you to drive a vehicle in another country, and it is accepted as proof that you hold a valid license in your home country. In some cases, it could serve as an identity proof as well.
- It could serve as the sole proof of identity in the language of the country you are visiting.
- You will not have to take any additional driving tests in the country of your stay
- It is valid in over 150 countries, and you will be able to drive a vehicle in any of these countries
- Many countries will not allow you to rent a car unless you show them a valid International Driving License.
- Having a valid International Driving License could help you process your insurance, in the case of a mishap or accident.
How To Apply For An International Driving License in India?
The procedure for applying for an International Driving License in India is not extremely complicated. But before going into the procedure, you should keep in mind that only individuals who already have a valid license from their state of residence are eligible to apply for an International Driving License. In addition, you should also have a valid Indian passport at the time of application. Without these two documents, you will not be eligible to apply for an International Drivers License. Once you have these two documents, here is the procedure you will need to follow:
- You should go to your nearest Regional Transport Office (RTO) in the area of your residence for this application. Alternatively, you could also approach an authorized automobile association, who will help you through the process.
- You will be asked to fill out your application in form known as ‘Form 4A’. You should get this form from your RTO itself, as the form may slightly differ depending on your state.
- You will be asked to submit copies of all relevant documents, which are given in the checklist below.
- You should pay the requisite fees. This used to cost around INR 500, but since January 2017, the cost has gone up to INR 1,000.
- Once this is done, it usually takes an average of 30 days for your International Drivers License to be processed.
Checklist of Documents You Will Need in Order To Apply For An International Driving License in India
Here is a checklist of all the documents you will need while making your application at the RTO:
- Form 4A, duly filled out
- Form 1A. This is nothing but a Medical Certificate from your doctor, stating that you are fit to drive a vehicle.
- Your valid Indian Drivers License
- Your valid Indian Passport
- A valid visa to the country you will be traveling to, in cases where this is applicable
- Four copies of your recent passport-size photographs
- The Fees (INR 1,000)
What is the Validity Of International Driving License in India?
The International Driving License is valid for a period of one year from the date of issue or until your Indian driver's license expires, whichever is earlier. You should also note that International Driving License renewal for NRI cannot be done in India, you should make a fresh application after it expires.
Now that you know exactly how to get an international driving license in India, the documents required for international driving license in India, the validity of international driving license in India, as well as the international driving fees in India, you are already halfway there. So go out and enjoy. Happy driving!