How to Change Surname in Passport

A passport is an important document for any individual. It is the documentary evidence issued by the government of a particular country which certifies the nationality of the passport holder. It is the most important document which is required for traveling especially across the borders of the country issuing the passport. This passport is the sole identity certificate of the individual holder during any international travel. However, many times, the individual passport holder might require changing their names, especially for married women who would like to change their surnames.

Name Change in Passport India

Passport of an individual is the most important identity proof. Name becomes the most important component of the identity proof. However, there are situations when one needs to change the name in the passport such as when a woman gets married or divorced. In such a situation, the individual passport holder merely needs to apply for a “Re-issue” of passport. The process of changing the name would be the same as in case of applying for a re-issuance of a passport with the specified changes mentioned in the prescribed format. The form for re-issue of passport needs to be duly filled in with the appropriate details along with the prescribed and requisite documents as mentioned under the link for “Documents Required” on the home page of the passport issuing department of the Government of India.

How to Change Surname in Passport

Usually, married woman faces this situation of changing their surnames in their respective passports from their maiden name to their married surnames post their marriages. Though there are other reasons for changing the surname as well, however in such situations a marriage certificate is certainly not required. The following steps need to be taken in order to change the surname in the passport.

  • The individual needs to fill in Form No. 11 meant for Miscellaneous Services (the form merely costs INR 5/- at the designated Passport Office or can be downloaded from their official website too). The form needs to be duly filled in and should specifically mention “Re-issue of Passport” under the desired services column.
  • The completely filled in form needs to be supported with documentary proofs (as mentioned in the next segment)
  • Once the application is duly filled and the requisite documentary proofs duly attached with the form, the applicant individuals need to schedule an appointment with the passport office. In case of online submission of the form, the applicant needs to carry along the original print out of the online submitted form along with the supporting documents.
  • The individual then needs to visit the designated passport office at the scheduled time along with the necessary documents and the prescribed fees and follow the requisite processes as mentioned by the passport officers to get the updated and re-issued passport with the changed name and surname, as the case may be.

Documents Required for Changing of Name in Passport

The application for re-issue of passport with the changed name or surname needs to be supported with the requisite documentary proof and evidence. Such proof/evidence includes:

  • The original passport along with the self-attested copies of the first two and the last two pages.
  • In case a woman is applying for a change in surname post her marriage, she needs to submit the following documents too:
  • Copy of the passport of her husband
  • Attested copy of their marriage certificate or an equivalent affidavit along with supporting evidence such as marriage card and joint photograph
  • In case a divorced woman needs to apply for a change in surname post her divorce, she needs to submit the following documents:

  1. Certified copy of their divorce decree
  2. Deed poll or Sworn Affidavit as mentioned in Annexure E

  • In case of a woman who has remarried post her divorce or death of the first spouse, she needs to submit the following documents:

  1. Certified copy of divorce decree or death certificate of the first spouse as the case may be
  2. Documents required for a married woman as mentioned above

  • In any other circumstance, where an individual needs to change surname (including both males and females), they should submit the following documents:

  1. Deed poll or Sworn Affidavit as mentioned in Annexure E
  2. Original and valid advertisements mentioning such change in the surname or name of the individual in two relevant daily newspapers, one of which should be in the daily newspaper of the area of individual applicant’s address or corresponding nearby area. Such newspaper advertisement clippings should be submitted along with the applications. The application for change in surname or name of the individual is accepted only after thirty days of the publication or appearance of said notice or advertisements in the daily newspapers.

Indian Passport Name Change in USA

Such change in name and surname in the passport of Indian Citizens can be done in USA but in such a case, the individual applicant needs to take the help of Indian embassy in USA. Both the old passport along with the filled in form, requisite documents (as mentioned above), requisite fees, and a valid court order suggesting the change in name needs to send to the Indian Embassy in USA. The individual then needs to follow the stipulated steps as prescribed by the embassy officials.

Related Questions

Q: Hi, Can I bring in PS4 Pro 1TB from Qatar to India. Is there any customs charge on it to be paid.

A: Customs duties are applicable on PS4 and are high. The best indicator of how much these shipping charges and duties add up to is The PS4 is priced at Rs 25,000 in the US, but if you...

Q: How do I get the PIO changed to OCI

A: To know the process of PIO conversion to OCI card refer

Q: I have applied for OCI for my wife on 27/11/17 and the appiication was forwarded to CGI Edinburgh on 28/11/17 by VFS Glasgow office. I have not received any message so far and unable to check Status as well.Please guide. Hardial Singh Bhari 12/02/1..?

A: Collection Procedure for OCI Cards and Documents: OCI Cards will be delivered by Post/Courier only once approved and ready. Applicants are required to provide two Self - addressed Special Delivery...

Q: How to apply for OCI when visiting in India?

A: When you apply for OCI from within India, it is important that the applicant be in the country legally. That is you must have a valid visa to be in the country while your application is processed....