How To Apply For Lost Passport

Replacement of Lost Passport

Losing any of your possessions is indeed an unpleasant experience. But when it comes to something as important as your passport, losing your passport on foreign soil can indeed be the worst nightmare for anybody. However, the key here is not to panic. Such things could happen to anybody, whether they are just visiting as a tourist for a couple of weeks or whether you are permanently residing abroad. In order to help you through this stressful time, we have curated a handy list of steps that will guide you through the things to how to apply for the lost passport in India. It should make clear for you to apply Indian passport lost in USA, the procedure for lost Indian passport in USA, and also the procedure for getting your passport reissued in India. If you have been plagued by questions like, “how long does it take to reissue a lost passport”, then read on. This is meant for you.

What To Do If You Lost Your Indian Passport In USA?

  • If you have lost your Indian passport when you are in the USA or any other country abroad, for that matter, the very first thing you should do is look for back up. Find all the copies you have of your passport, where your passport number, photo, and other key details are clearly visible.
  • If you have lost your passport while studying abroad or working abroad, it is recommended that you file a police complaint as soon as possible. The FIR filed in the police station will serve as proof of loss of passport for embassy-related formalities.
  • If you are in a situation of emergency, and you have to travel abroad within a month or so, you can apply for a temporary passport. This should take only two weeks to process. However, some countries have restrictions on those traveling with a temporary passport, so make sure that you verify with the relevant authorities before traveling with your temporary passport. However, opt for this only as a last resort, and if you have to travel abroad before your duplicate passport can be issued.
  • Alternatively, you could apply for an emergency certificate from the nearest Indian embassy. An emergency certificate is a one-way travel document which allows an Indian citizen to travel back to India if their passport has been stolen/damaged and who need approval from India to get a duplicate passport. This is the way to go if you are on a short vacation abroad when you lost your passport.

Documents Required For Lost Passport in USA

If you have lost your Indian passport in USA or any other country abroad, here are the documents that are generally required:

  • A notarized affidavit from two Indian passport holders, who have a valid resident status in USA
  • The application form for the new passport duly filled out with the correct details. Some of your signatures on the form will have to be notarized, so ensure that you make sure everything is in order before submitting the form.
  • Between 7-10 passport size photographs
  • Proof of nationality – A copy of your old passport would suffice. However, if this is not available, then you could alternatively submit your Indian birth certificate, your SSC graduation certificate from India, or any valid Indian photo-ID card like Aadhaar, Ration card, etc.
  • You will need to provide details of your previous passport, like your passport number, date of issue, etc. In case you do not have a copy of your old passport, you can contact a Passport Service Kendra (PSK) to get details of your old passport. Bear in mind that it will take over 48 hours for your information to be processed.
  • A letter from your university, if you are in USA on a student visa
  • An original police report filed regarding the loss of passport
  • A letter addressed to the Consulate General of India, explaining the circumstances leading to the loss of passport. This letter is called “Incident Report”.

What to Do If You Lost Your Indian Passport In India?

  • If you are an Indian citizen, and you have lost your passport in India, then it is mandatory for you to file a complaint at the nearest police station and get an FIR filed. This will serve as proof for loss of passport.
  • Once you have an FIR, you can go to your nearest Regional Passport Office in order to apply for a duplicate passport.
  • You can do this by filling a form at your nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) and submitting the relevant documents.
  • Some of the documents to be submitted while applying for a duplicate passport from India are:
  • 1.Affidavit with details on how the passport was lost

    2.No Objection Certificate

    3.Proof of current address

    4.FIR filed regarding lost passport

    5.Proof of Date of Birth

    6.Photocopies of first and last pages of passport

    7.Passport size photographs

We hope this article has made clear the things to do if you lost Indian passport in USA and the procedure for lost Indian passport in USA. We hope you can now go ahead with an easy mind, now that you know exactly how to apply for your lost passport or reissue of lost passport, and how long it takes to reissue a lost passport.

Related Questions

Q: What are the emigration rules for Indian nationals? Which categories do not require emigration checks?

A: Indian Nationals intending to go overseas for the purpose of employment need to undergo an emigration check done by the Protector of Emigrants (POEs).

Q: Are funds in FCNR accounts freely repatriable abroad?

A: Yes, funds in FCNR accounts are freely repatriable.

Q: I see here that you mention that Proxy voting is possible for NRIs. Do you happen to know really whether "The Representation of the People (Amendment) Bill, 2017" got passed in Rajya Sabha,..?

A: Bill to allow proxy voting by NRIs passed by Lok Sabha. Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said the provision would help non-resident Indians (NRIs) to participate in the electoral process. .The Bill...

Q: Can an NRI run for political office in India?

A: No, an NRI cannot run for political office in India. but an NRI can qualify as an elector (fulfilling certain circumstances) only not as a candidate.