How To Apply PAN Card for NRI
A PAN Card (Permanent Account Number) is mainly a ten-digit alpha-numeric number that is issued by the Income Tax Department of India. A PAN card is usually issued as a laminated card, which also has a copy of your passport size photograph. For all intents and purposes, a PAN card is a permanent identification number that is allotted to each “person”. Your PAN number will be your identifier with the Income Tax Department. Each person will have to use this alpha-numeric number for all future transactions with the Income Tax Department. A PAN card is usually used for transactions like tax payments, TDS/TCS credit, returns of wealth/gift/FBT, etc. PAN card changes are updated in newspapers, and relevant Indian Government websites. And most of the NRIs will have a question that can NRI apply for PAN card. You should know that NRIs are also eligible to apply for a PAN card. However, the rules applying to NRI PAN Card holders would be different from that of an ordinary resident of India.
Importance of PAN Card for NRIs
A PAN is compulsory for those who have to file returns in India. In addition to this, a PAN card number has to be quoted for all financial transactions involving a large amount of money in India. Thus, if all or a portion of your net income is taxable in India, then it is mandatory for an NRI to apply for PAN card. If you wish to purchase land or be a part of a financial transaction involving a large amount of money, then you will need a PAN card number.
Documents Required for Application of PAN Card
The process to get your curated a check PAN card allotted to you is not all that complicated. However, before you begin your application, we have a list of documents that you will require at the time of your PAN card application. Here is the checklist:
- Copy of your Passport
- Document to prove your Overseas Address. The best document for this is your bank statement showing your overseas address.
- Passport size Photographs
PAN Card Fee For NRI
The processing fee that you would have to pay for your PAN card is INR 944 (Application Fee: INR 85.00 + Dispatch Charges: INR 771.00 + 10.3% Service Tax). Remember that as of now, you cannot pay your processing fee using a foreign credit card. You will have to draw a demand draft (DD) in favor of “NSDL-PAN”, payable at Mumbai.
Dispatch Facility Outside India
PAN card dispatch facility is available to you if you do not have an address of residence in India. However, this is available only in select countries. Make sure you find out whether the Government of India can dispatch your PAN card to the country of residence before you apply. You could provide an official or residential address in the country of your residence, and the Government could be able to send it to you by mail if your country is there in the list provided by the government.
How To Apply PAN Card For NRI
PAN card applications have been made easier when the Indian Government introduced an online application portal. You will either have to fill out Form 49A or Form 49AA. Persons holding an Indian Citizenship need to fill out Form 49A. If you hold a foreign passport, you will have to fill out Form 49AA. Thus, OCI Cardholders, PIO cardholders are all eligible to fill out Form 49AA, while NRIs holding an Indian passport can fill out Form 49A.
12 simple steps for NRI to apply PAN Card Online
- Log in to the PAN Card Website online here nsdl.com
- Scroll down the page and click on the link that says “Apply for a new PAN card”
- Depending on your status, fill out either Form 49A or Form 49AA
- Read the guidelines carefully before filling in your details. Make sure that your overseas address matches the one in your proof of address document.
- Remember do not fill in an Indian address if you are an NRI, PIO or OCI cardholder.
- Once the form is filled, cross-check all your information and verify that it is correct before clicking the “Submit” button.
- If your form was filled out correctly, an acknowledgment page should appear on your screen.
- Print out a minimum of two copies of this acknowledgment slip. Ensure that you keep one with yourself for future reference.
- Paste your photos wherever it is required. You will need to place your signature wherever required in black ink only.
- Self-attest all copies you have made of your passport and the document proving your residential address.
- You will need to send these documents by mail to NSDL, PAN Unit. The address is as follows:
- NSDL at 'Income Tax PAN Services Unit, National Securities Depository Limited, 3rd floor, Sapphire Chambers, Near Baner Telephone Exchange, Baner, Pune – 411045
- On the envelope, you will need to mention that it is a PAN card application, and also mention your acknowledgment number. Write this in the format “PAN Card Application – Your Acknowledgement Number”
- Once you have mailed your documents within 15 days of completing your online application form, then you can track your application using your acknowledgment number.
In case you need to contact the PAN Card unit, here is their contact number: 020 - 27218080; Fax: 020 – 27218081.