How To Apply For OCI Card
The Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Card was launched in the year 2005, during the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas held at Hyderabad. This was mainly in response to the growing demands for dual citizenship by many Non-Resident Indians. However, bear in mind that the OCI card does not actually mean that you have dual citizenship in India. In 2014, Prime Minister Modi announced the merger of the PIO and OCI cards, which was widely welcomed as a brilliant move. If you are looking to begin to your OCI card application, you have definitely come to the right place. There are several guidelines for applying the OCI application that you will have to keep in mind before you begin. You will have to fill out the OCI application form first. The OCI online registration application form is not all that complicated if you know what to expect. We have carefully curated for you, step-by-step guidelines for applying OCI application. We will also give you a very clear idea about what exactly is entailed in the OCI application form, and how to go about with the OCI online registration application form.
What is the OCI Card?
- The OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) card is given to those who have taken foreign citizenship but are of Indian origin. Foreign spouses of Indian citizens or OCI cardholders are also eligible to apply for an OCI card
- This scheme was launched in 2005, during the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas convention at Hyderabad.
- Note that an OCI card does not mean that you will be considered a citizen of India. As per the current rules, the Indian government does not recognize dual citizenship.
- The OCI card is also different from a visa. Hence, you should carry the passport which shows your lifetime visa under the OCI scheme in order to gain entry into India.
OCI Application From Abroad
You can apply for an OCI card either from abroad or in India. All applications are now online. Once you have completed filling the online form and uploading all relevant documents online, you will be required to mail a copy to your nearest embassy if you are applying from abroad. If you are applying from India, you will have to mail a copy to your nearest FRRO office.
What To Do Before Applying For Your OCI card?
- The passport size photo of the applicant and the image of the applicant’s signature must be in JPEG or JPG format, with a maximum size of 200kb.
- Ensure that the height and width of the photo are equal, with a maximum size of 900 pixels (width) and 900 pixels (height)
- The photo of your signature should have an aspect ratio of 1:3
Step by Step Guidelines to Apply OCI Application Part A
- Start by going to the link passport.gov
- You will have to complete Part A before you can move on to Part B.
- In Part A, you will have the choice of applying as an individual applicant or an as a family group. Choose the family group section only if one of the parents is applying along with at least one minor child. If your children are not minors, you will have to make an individual application for each one of them.
- A family of four can complete Part A in one attempt itself. If you have a family of five or greater, your application can be split into two, with one spouse’s name on each application.
- Ensure that you enter the name of the relevant and nearest consulate. If this information is wrong, another consulate will not be able to process your application.
- Ensure that you proofread and correct all errors in your application before clicking submit. You will not be allowed to make any changes once you press the submit button.
- Once you press submit, a bar code and a Web File Number will be assigned to you.
Step by Step Guidelines to Apply OCI Application Part B
- It is preferable to finish Part B by typing out your answers. You could also fill it in by hand, all in capital letters and in Blue or Black ball point pen only.
- No matter how many members are included in Part B, every adult applicant has to sign the form individually. Minors are not expected to sign the form.
- Answering questions 21 and 22 are compulsory, so do not leave them blank. In case you have no family in India, then write that. When asked about your employer details and you are retired, the details of your last employer before retirement will suffice.
- Make sure that the signature you give matches the signature on your passport.
Once you have completed the application of Part A and Part B of the form, you will be taken to a page where you will have to upload all relevant documents. Once this is done, you have successfully completed the online OCI card registration process. You can now take a print out and mail all the pages to your consulate, and pay the OCI registration fee. You will receive your OCI card as soon as it is processed.
We hope that this article has shed a little more light on the step by step guidelines for applying OCI application. Now you should have a clear idea about what documents and information you will be required to produce in your OCI application form. In addition, you should also be clear about how you can deal with the OCI online registration application form. We hope that we have made your path to becoming an Overseas Citizen of India a little less tedious and a whole lot clearer.