How To Renew Indian Passport In USA
When you are a Non-Resident Indian, then one of the most important documents for you is the Indian passport that you must carry with you wherever you go. However, once the passport is nearing its date of expiry, then you must get your Indian passport renewed and the big question that arises is can we renew Indian passport in USA. It is not compulsory that you have to travel all the way back to India to get your Indian passport renewed. The Indian passport renewal process in USA can be done and the application for your passport can now even be done online, in the comfort of your own home. So, we have curated for you the steps involved in getting your Indian passport renewal in USA. If you are an NRI holding an Indian passport in USA, then these are the steps you should follow:
Do Not Apply At The Indian Consulate
The Indian Consulate has outsourced the passport renewal and application services to Cox and Kings Global Services (CKGS). Many may not be familiar with this, because this new rule came into effect only in May 2017. So, you will need not to go to the Indian Consulate or Embassy nearest to you. Instead, you should apply at the India Passport Application Center nearest to you.
Is ECNR Still Required?
You should know that the new passports that are being issued do not need an ECNR validation like before. This is because the ECNR validation is already included in the newly issued passports.
Indian Passport Renewal in USA Checklist
- Your recent original Indian passport
- Details about your legal status in USA
- Your spouse’s passport, in case you’re endorsing your spouse.
- Recent original Indian passport
- Details about the minor’s legal status in USA
- Both the parent’s passports
5 Steps To Indian Passport Renewal Process in USA
Now that we have gotten some of the caveats out of the way, here are the five steps you must follow to get your Indian passport renewed in USA.
1. Generate Document Checklist and Temporary Number
From passport.in You will need to enter various details like your category, services you may need, the reason for the renewal of your passport, etc. Based on your responses, you will be able to see a checklist of documents you will need to complete the procedure. In addition, they will also give you information about the processing fees, the expected time has taken, etc. Most importantly, you will get a temporary number. Make sure you note it down because you will need this number in all future transactions. If you lose or forget this number, you will have to start the whole process again!
2. Prepare, Sign and Notarize Documents as Required
Based on the Document checklist generated for you, you will be asked to print out several documents. Depending on the instructions given, make sure you sign the documents where your signature is required. Some documents will have to be notarized. Remember to print a copy of the Document checklist itself, and mark the boxes where you’ve got the documents. You will also be asked to submit a copy of the Document checklist.
3. Complete the Government of India Application Form
- You will need to complete an application form with the Government of India. Once you have done this, you will get a what is called a “New Web Reference Number”. This is different from your Temporary Number.
- Once you have this “New Web Reference Number”, return to the earlier website to continue your application process. Make sure you enter the correct Web Reference Number here. The system will then cross-check the information you have given at the CKGS website and the Government of India websites. If any errors are spotted, you will have to restart the entire process. So, make sure you correctly fill in all the details in the first attempt itself.
4. Submit the Application
Once you are done with all the three steps mentioned above, you are now ready to submit your application. You can either ship your application to the concerned authorities or you can book an appointment and submit it in person.
5. Process and Track your Application
Once you have submitted your application, you can track the application online. You will have to enter your CKGS tracking number, your passport number and your date of birth. So, make sure you have noted all the required numbers.
You can also track your application by phone. The contact number is (213) 213 5019.
If you cannot pick up your new passport in person, then you will have to make a Power of Attorney document, so that someone else can do it on your behalf. Keeping the expected processing date in mind, make all the necessary arrangements.
This is the process for filing an online application for NRI Indian passport renewal in USA. Following these five simple steps, and planning well in advance can make this job seem easy and effortless.