How to Get Aadhar Card for NRI
One of the most important forms of identification in India is the Aadhaar card – for NRI, OCI, and Foreigners as well, this card is just as important. You will require your Aadhar card for almost everything in India, right from opening a new bank account to getting a gas connection for your home. Many NRIs are often confused by the procedure on how to apply for aadhar card. You should bear in mind that NRIs, OCI holders as well as PIOs are eligible to apply for an Aadhar card. This to set questions like how to get aadhar for OCI, how to check aadhar card status to rest. We have carefully collected for you, some of the most important information regarding how to get Aadhar card for – right from applying for it to taking a print out of your e-aadhar card.
What Is The Aadhar Card?
The Aadhar card is a Unique Identification Card (also known as UID) issued by the Central government of India. It was initiated by the Planning Commission to make sure that each and every Indian citizen has a unique identification number and that subsidies and other government welfare services reach the citizens of India in a more transparent way. When you apply for an Aadhar card, you will be provided with a twelve digit identification number, which will be unique for every citizen. Initially, this scheme was only open to Indian residents. However, the government has now made the Aadhar card available for NRI, PIOs and OCI holder as well. You can think of the Aadhaar card as the Indian equivalent of the social security number in the United States of America.
Who Is Eligible To Apply For Aadhar Card?
Every individual residing in India, no matter what their age, caste or gender may be, is eligible for getting an Aadhar card. However, in order to get an Aadhar card, you must have resided in India for a minimum period of 182 days in a current financial year. Otherwise, you will not be eligible to apply for the Aadhar card.
How To Get Aadhar Card For NRI?
The procedure for NRI, PIO and OCI holders to apply for an Aadhar card is not all that complicated. The first thing you should know about this procedure is that you cannot simply apply for it online. You will have to be present in India in order to apply for an Aadhar card. Here are the steps you can follow if you are eligible to apply for Aadhar card:
- Find your nearest Aadhar card Enrollment Center. You can check online or ask your local government to help you find the nearest Aadhar card Enrollment Center.
- Once you have identified the nearest center, you can now proceed to make an appointment at a convenient time-slot. You can do this online.
- On the day of your appointment, go to the Aadhar Center with all your relevant documents.
- The documents you will need to carry with you include your birth certificate, a valid photo ID card, and your school certificate. In addition, as an NRI, you may be asked to produce a proof of connection with your country of residence. For instance, in the case of USA, you may be asked to produce a copy of your Green Card.
- In addition to submitting your documents, you will have to correctly fill all the details in your Application Form.
- After this, you will have to give your biometric information like Iris scan, and fingerprint scan.
- Once this is done, all your details will be verified by the officials and you should receive an acknowledgment slip. This slip will have a fourteen digit number, which you should keep safely as this will help you track the progress of your Aadhar card.
How Can You Check Your Aadhar Card Status?
You can check your Aadhar card status online, with the fourteen digit number provided to you by the officials. You will also be required to enter the date on which you have applied, as well as the time of application. Alternatively, you can put in a call on the toll-free number – 1800-180-1947. If none of this seems right for you, you can also drop in a mail on this e-mail ID help@uidai and wait for a response.
We hope this article has made clear the procedures regarding the Aadhar card for NRI, OCI, and Foreigners. This article should help you figure out questions like how to apply for Aadhar card for NRI, how to get aadhar card for OCI holders and how to check your aadhar card status. Whether it is a query regarding the process or queries regarding the e-aadhar card, feel free to drop us a line in the comments section below.