How to Replace Damaged Passport
Passport is a travel document issued by the government of the country in which the passport holder is a citizen. This important document ideally certifies the identity and nationality of the passport holder, usually and primarily for the purpose of international travel. The following article explains the complete procedure of how to replace damaged passport or what is the procedure to re-issue a passport.
What is Damaged Passport?
As per the guidelines and rules of the Indian Passport Act of India, a damaged passport is usually classified based on the type and severity of damage. Based on such classification, the two types of damaged passports include:
- Damaged Passport: These are passports where the passport number is clear, the photograph is intact, and the name of the passport holder is still legible.
- Damaged Beyond Recognition: These passports have no information legible and thus are termed damaged beyond recognition.
How To Replace Damaged Passport?
In case the passport of an individual has not been damaged beyond recognition or where the passport number is legible, the photo is intact, and the name is legible, then the individual can apply for a re-issue of the passport (even under the Tatkaal scheme, if the passport is required urgently) in order to change the damaged passport.
In case the passport of an individual is damaged beyond recognition, then the individual cannot apply for a re-issue of the passport under the Tatkaal scheme. If the individual still needs the passport urgently, he or she must visit the nearest Passport Office or Passport Seva Kendra in order to get the passport issued on an urgent basis.
Documents Required To Replace Damaged Passport
While applying for a re-issue of passport in case of a damaged passport, one needs to submit the following documents along with the passport application:
- Telephone bill
- Certificate from Employer
- Water bill
- Election Photo ID card
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Passport copy of the spouse
- Aadhaar Card
- Parent's passport copy
- Gas Connection
- Registered Rent Agreement
- Proof of Date of Birth of the Applicant which can include
- Secondary School leaving certificate from the last school attended or an educational institution which is recognized
- Birth certificate issued by a municipal authority or an authorized office
- Semi-literate or literate applicants: Affidavit was sworn before a notary stating the place and date of birth (Annexure 'A')
- Notarized Affidavit stating how and where the passport got damaged (in the format mentioned in Annexure 'F')
- Police report (FIR) in the original
- Self-attested photocopy of first two and last two pages, including ECR/Non-ECR page of an old passport, if available and legible; this is optional
- No Objection Certificate (Annexure 'M')/Prior Intimation Letter (Annexure 'N')
- Two Passport-size photographs
- Damaged Passport for Proof of Damage
- Photocopies of educational background
- Letter stating the nature of the emergency in case applying for re-issue under the Tatkaal scheme
Damaged Passport Replacement Cost
The Duplicate passport would be issued at a requisite fee. This fee varies depending on the type of passport an individual wants, the number of pages that the individual wants in the passport booklet, the age of the applicant, the reason for the issue of duplicate passport, and the type of application. The details of such cost are mentioned below:
Such a fee can be paid either through debit card, credit card, or net banking. However, in case the applicant is applying for a tatkal passport, one needs to pay the tatkaal amount in cash at the passport Kendra while collecting the passport.
Damaged Passport Replacement Time
Usually, a Tatkaal passport (in replacement of a damaged passport) would take around 1-3 days for a new passport to be re-issued from the date of receiving the application and documents for an issue. In normal cases, it would take the normal time period for issue as in any other passport issue.
Online Registration for Damaged Passport
Just like the application of other passports including fresh passport application, an individual can apply for online registration of the Damaged Passport at the official website of the Indian Passport Office. Once the registration is completed, the individual needs to visit the Passport Office or the Passport Seva Kendra as selected by the individual in order to complete the process.